[PD] missing dependencies for pd-extended on ubuntu 8.10

Ilias Anagnostopoulos I.Anagnostopoulos at sheffield.ac.uk
Mon Dec 1 18:54:28 CET 2008

Hello Roman,

I assume you tried downloading the package through HTTP. There is an
info link next to the download, md5 and APT links on the download page,
that links here: http://pd.ianagnostopoulos.postgrad.shef.ac.uk/notes.txt

This describes the dependencies, and gives you another link,
http://pd.ianagnostopoulos.postgrad.shef.ac.uk/pd-deps.tar
which contains a tar archive with the three packages of the dependencies.

If you try getting it through the OtherSide APT, the dependencies are
there and thus automatically configured.

These three packages have been removed from the official Ubuntu (and I
think also Debian) repositories since no package there depended on them.
My understanding is that they are NOT replaced by the ones you
mentioned. I tried simply changing the dependencies to the newer
versions and it installed, but came up with many errors when launching PD.

GEM seems to need the specific versions it depends on. I think that
since there is no "serious" reason not to use these libraries, it
doesn't make sense doing anything to the source code to make it
compatible with the newer versions. If we simply provide these extra
packages with the PD package, by hosting them on the same places, it
will be fine. Since nothing else has anything to do with them, they
won't break anything.

-Ilias