[PD] pd-linux/irritating dialog box location

Damian Stewart damian at frey.co.nz
Tue Dec 2 15:21:14 CET 2008

IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> Ilias Anagnostopoulos wrote:
>> Hello IOhannes,
>>
>> Actually, I've been wondering about this myself. What do you mean with
>> "configure the window manager"? As in people changing this manually on
>> their computer settings, or as in hard-coded in the PD code?
>
> no it has nothing to do with Pd.
> with "configure your window manager", i mean literally "configure your
> window manager".
>
> the window manager is the application that manages your windows (hence
> the name :-)), e.g. window decoration, window positioning, window
> focusing...
>
> how the wm can be configured is highly depending on the wm itself.
> e.g. on kde you can control the wm (kwin) via the kcontrol center.
> since this is my main wm, i don't know about others.
>
> under gnome, you can most likely set this via system->windows (or whatever).

no, you can't. and searching gconf-editor for 'metacity' doesn't bring up
any clues either.

as i posted into pd-dev, i think it's actually a bug in the way the Pd and
Tcl/Tk communicate (or miscommunicate i think is the more appropriate
term). under Gnome i have Alt-` set up to cycle through the windows of the
current application key (as opposed to Alt-Tab which cycles through _all_
windows of _all_ applications). this key works with everything, *except*
with Pd . under OSX with Pd-vanilla, you get the same problem. it's
half-fixed with Pd-extended, in that it will cycle until you reach the main
Pd window, then it stops and won't go any further.

i think these issues are related.

damian stewart | skype: damiansnz | damian at frey.co.nz
frey | live art with machines | http://www.frey.co.nz