[PD] Textfile with character by character parsing??

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Tue Dec 2 16:48:29 CET 2008

Solen Music wrote:
> Hi i'm looking for an object that I can read in a text file and bang
> it so that it outputs each consecutive character/letter in the file.
>
> i.e. bang the object
> it ouputs the first letter
> bang the object
> outputs the second letter
> etc.
>
> Does such a thing exist??

Yes [1].  But it would probably be far easier/more productive/more
efficient to use a scripting engine for such tasks, for example pdlua
for Lua or py/pyext for Python or something else (because then the
string manipulation can take place without polluting Pd's symbol table).

Claude

[1] I started then abandoned development of a Pd<->POSIX bridge once
upon a time.  It can do what you describe, for example this file has a
subpatch that streams a file as a sequence of bytes (driven by [until]
but you could use another driver):

https://code.goto10.org/svn/maximus/2007/posix/examples/load8svx.pd

You'd then have to parse the bytes into characters according to
whichever charset you use (eg, UTF-8 is more complicated than ASCII..).

--
http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org