[PD] pd-linux/irritating dialog box location

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Dec 2 18:30:50 CET 2008

On Dec 2, 2008, at 8:54 AM, Damian Stewart wrote:

> Ilias Anagnostopoulos wrote:
>> Hello IOhannes,
>>
>> Actually, I've been wondering about this myself. What do you mean
>> with
>> "configure the window manager"? As in people changing this
>> manually on
>> their computer settings, or as in hard-coded in the PD code?
>>
>> The vast majority of applications have pop-ups appearing on top of
>> old
>> windows, except from PD, on the same computer. Does it have to do
>> with
>> tk/tcl?
>>
>> -Ilias

This kind of behavior is largely controlled by Tcl/Tk, which has
pretty good tools for handling it, and making things feel natural on
each platform.  This is the kind of stuff I want to tackle next.

> there's something severly busted with Pd's usage of Tcl/Tk. under
> Ubuntu i
> have Alt-` rigged up as my cycle-between-windows-of-an-application key
> (like Alt-Tab but restricted to windows of the current
> application), and it
> works on every application except for Pd.

> the same problem is present with Pd-Vanilla on OSX (as in, the
> Apple-` key
> doesn't cycle through Pd windows), and is half-broken on Pd-extended
> (Apple-` works until you hit the main Pd window, then it breaks).

Yeah, Pd doesn't look at the global GNOME settings.  I suppose it
would be possible to have it check the GNOME settings.  One thing
that I want to do is work on tighter GNOME integration, so perhaps
that would be a good thing to do.

But if you want to add the Alt-` binding its quite easy.  In pd.tk
around line 1676, you will see this:

     if {$pd_nt == 2} {
         bind $name.c <Mod1-Key> {pdtk_canvas_ctrlkey %W %K 0}
         bind $name.c <Mod1-Shift-Key> {pdtk_canvas_ctrlkey %W %K 1}
         bind $name.c <Mod1-BackSpace> {pdtk_canvas_sendkey %W 1 %K %
A 0}
         bind $name.c <Mod1-quoteleft> {menu_raisenextwindow}
     }

Change it to look like this and you'll have Alt-` as you like:

     if {$pd_nt == 2} {
         bind $name.c <Mod1-Key> {pdtk_canvas_ctrlkey %W %K 0}
         bind $name.c <Mod1-Shift-Key> {pdtk_canvas_ctrlkey %W %K 1}
         bind $name.c <Mod1-BackSpace> {pdtk_canvas_sendkey %W 1 %K %
A 0}
         bind $name.c <Mod1-quoteleft> {menu_raisenextwindow}
     } else {
         bind $name.c <Alt-quoteleft> {menu_raisenextwindow}
     }

> Hans-Cristoph Steiner, Chun Lee, and myself (where i can) are in
> the early
> planning stages of a project to rebuild pd.tk to take care of some
> of these
> issues, and to clean things up to make them more easily extensible.
> more
> people are welcome to join in the fun, post on pd-dev if you like.

It is true that we having been talking about this for a while, a lot
of these discussions have been off of lists because there are some
sensitive politics that we wanted to avoid inflaming.  But as far as
I know, everyone is cool with it, so I think now is the time to open
things up and make it a community effort.