[PD] svn:externals WAS: an easy way to replay a Pd-session (gui)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Dec 2 18:41:46 CET 2008

On Dec 2, 2008, at 6:36 AM, Chris McCormick wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 12:17:44PM +0100, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>> Chris McCormick wrote:
>>> You will almost certainly not like this solution, but you can use my
>>> [s-totalrecall] and [s-tr-node] abstractions to record a full
>>> session of
>>> knob-twiddling to play back later. I use this to record my live
>>> sets and
>>> then replay them later, off-stage.
>>
>> thanks for mentioning these.
>> indeed they are not what i want. i want to capture a live-coding
>> session
>> rather than "knob-fiddling".
>
> Oh I see what you mean. Cool idea!
>
>> i noticed that both abstractions are missing from the puredata
>> repository at sourceforge.
>> after some googling i found your own repo at http://mccormick.cx.
>>
>> is there any chance to sync the two repositories?
>> (personally i would still suggest an svn:externals link; but let's
>> keep
>> this for later :-))
>
> I did have an out-of-date copy of my own s-abstractions repository in
> the CVS that I would periodically check-in, but I have been really bad
> at keeping track of whether that still exists in the new SVN
> layout, or
> even how to import it now. I sort of made enquiries about this but
> Hans
> replied something like "Don't do this unless it's a library." Which I
> never fully grokked. I agree that an svn:externals link would be a
> good
> solution.

I really don't want to dictate here, but I think we need to decide on
how we use the SVN.  svn:externals create more annoying work in
regards to getting Pd-extended builds out, but that is not the only
use of the SVN.  I can accept more annoying work, but there needs to
be a good reason.

My question remains, what is the problem we are trying to solve using
svn:externals?  If it is to include code that gets built with Pd-
extended, then svn:externals doesn't work well for that, just
importing releases works much better.  If it is to make a centralized
place to find all Pd code, then I wonder if there is a better tool
for this, like a special section of SVN for svn:externals outside of
trunk or a wiki page.

I think it's time to have a IRC meeting about this.  How about
Thursday?  I am trying to be in #dataflow as much as possible these
days, if anyone wants to have an impromptu discussion.

irc://irc.freenode.net/dataflow

.hc