[PD] Anyone using Lua also using other Lua extentions?

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Wed Dec 3 14:47:13 CET 2008

Hi Mike, Frank, all,

Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Mike McGonagle hat gesagt: // Mike McGonagle wrote:
>
>> I have been wondering about what I would need to do to use other Lua
>> extentions along with [lua]? Is it just a matter of compiling those
>> linked libraries, and then doing a require "my-extention'' in the
>> code? Does anything in the C portions of PdLua need to be recompiled?
>
> Lua itself can be compiled with or without the capabilty to load other
> modules. Generally it is compiled with a default of enabling modules, so
> you will be fine.
>
> Other than that it's only a matter of letting pdlua find the modules.
> It's fine if you install your modules globally, i.e. in /usr/lib/lua. To
> be able to load modules in the current patch's directory, on older Pd
> versions some fiddling with the Lua search path may be needed (search
> the archives). On newer Pds (I think starting with 0.40 or 0.41) pdlua
> can add the current directory to the search path itself.
>
> After all that it's indeed just a simple: require"Box2D" or so.

I haven't tested this in depth - so I'm not sure if it works so easily -
I remember there are two search paths in Lua, one for .lua files and one
for compiled files, and I can't remember right now if I added support
for the compiled file path (I have a hunch that I didn't, because I
wasn't sure how to get it to work cleanly with the .so vs .dll file name
stuff...).  I also can't remember if I added the require path hooks for
plain .lua packages to both the Lua loader and the [luax] object.

So, it might require (sorry for the pun..) some fiddling to get it to
work, maybe modifications/recompilation of the C part of pdlua, etc -
patches welcome, but I'll get around to testing it thoroughly soon, and
probably rewrite that part of the code completely (if I remember
correctly I used Lua's C api when using Lua scripting would be easier to
maintain...).

Expect a new release of pdlua when I'm confident that the require stuff
is all working satisfactorily.

> Ciao

Thanks,

Claude