[PD] [OT] Hardware suggestions - Webcam for GEM/pdp/Linux

Martin Schied crinimal at gmx.net
Wed Dec 3 21:12:41 CET 2008

Hey List!

I'm looking for a webcam wich I can use with 640x480 at 30fps, preferable
with v4l (v4l2 support is still difficult with some apps), usb
preferred. It has to be a camera with ccd (no cmos chip).

maybe there are *no* cameras with v4l and VGA at 30fps - perhaps someone
knows? Did anyone try a philips spc900nc camera? It should support 90fps
at lower resolutions but I didn't find one single positive mention about
that with linux.

not that important, but nice to have:
it would be great if the infrared blocking filter was removable when the
camera is opened, because I have to use it in IR range for tracking. If
it's not removable it doesn't really matter because usually it's
possible to unscrew and replace the lens with an IR-compatible lens from
other webcams.

I already tried 2 cams:

Logitech Quickcam Pro 5000:
vga at 30fps, very low latency, v4l2 driver (no v4l compatibility),
raw-mode with 640x480 or 640x380 (didn't get other resolutions to work),
lot of dead pixels (10 dead pixels on 2 different models each, seems to
be a secret linux-feature, hidden on windows-driver), not very crisp but
usable image quality, IR-Filter not removable from Lens, whole Lens can
be easily unscrewed when camera is opened, easy to open, no adjustable
focus when not opened.

Philips Vesta Pro (PCVC680K):
vga at 15fps, v4l driver, slow, less light sensitive than quickcam but nice
crisp image, old (only few used models available), removable IR-Filter
(pop off the first "ring" on the object lens to remove), tripod mount,
rugged housing.

both lens-mounts are compatible, seems to be an undefined "standard"

sorry for posting that much - perhaps it's useful for someone?

kind regards, and thanks...

Martin