[PD] svn:externals WAS: an easy way to replay a Pd-session (gui)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Dec 3 21:19:43 CET 2008

On Dec 3, 2008, at 11:56 AM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> sorry for re-starting the flame-war.
> it was not my intention but couldn't keep my mouth shut.
>
>> I really don't want to dictate here, but I think we need to decide on
>> how we use the SVN.  svn:externals create more annoying work in
>> regards to getting Pd-extended builds out, but that is not the only
>> use of the SVN.  I can accept more annoying work, but there needs to
>> be a good reason.
>>
>> My question remains, what is the problem we are trying to solve using
>> svn:externals?  If it is to include code that gets built with Pd-
>> extended, then svn:externals doesn't work well for that, just
>> importing releases works much better.
>
> this is the main point where i disagree.
> most Pd-libraries seem to have stopped doing a regular release-cycle.
> for those included in Pd-extended, this is most likely due to their
> inclusion in Pd-extended.
> other libraries do not have a release cycle too, esp. if they are
> under
> some kind of public avaible version control system. the reason remains
> unknown, but i guess for most of these their upstream author consider
> release cycles for a "minor" library to much of a hazzle.
>
> i totally understand e.g. chris, if he doesn't want to re-import a new
> version of s-abstractions just because he has added 2 objects.
> (this is jut my interpretation)
>
> but nevertheless: s-abstractions are in our svn, chris pointed me to
> s-totalrecall.pd which i thought (rightfully) to be part of
> s-abstractions (without having ever had a look at this library), i
> checked whether this lib is in my checkout of the repo (which it
> is) and
> i couldn't find the very object.
> assuming that chris hadn't made fun of me, i checked the logfiles of
> s-abstractions and noted that there was only a initial submit.
> i decided to search for the library on other places (using google) and
> eventually found the upstream repository.
>
> i think such "workflow" does more harm than not.

If you don't like this workflow you don't have to use it.  For Pd-
extended, there needs to be little changes to makes sure everything
works together, so svn:externals does not work for that.  If you
don't care about Pd-extended, then you don't need to import code into
the SVN there.

I think a reasonable solution to this is to make a section of the
svn, like pure-data/svn-externals, where everyone is free to add
links to there repos.  That way people use svn-externals as much as
they want, and changes in their repos don't break the automatic
nightly builds.

.hc