[PD] svn:externals WAS: an easy way to replay a Pd-session (gui)

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Dec 3 21:29:44 CET 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>> i think such "workflow" does more harm than not.
>
> If you don't like this workflow you don't have to use it.  For

what the...?

i am describing a real-world problem and the only answer you have to it
is: "if you don't like it, don't use it"?

> Pd-extended, there needs to be little changes to makes sure everything
> works together, so svn:externals does not work for that.  If you don't
> care about Pd-extended, then you don't need to import code into the SVN
> there.

where? into Pd-extended? i don't-

> I think a reasonable solution to this is to make a section of the svn,
> like pure-data/svn-externals, where everyone is free to add links to
> there repos.  That way people use svn-externals as much as they want,
> and changes in their repos don't break the automatic nightly builds.

people who can add links to external repositories can as well add broken
code directly, so this is no argument.

the only real drawback about svn:externals is (and we've had this
already), that people are using self-signed certificates which stops the
build-process (because you cannot tell svn to blindly accept an invalid
certificate)

oh, btw, if you don't like svn:externals, just don't check them out:
luckily there is the "--ignore-externals" flag.

fgmasr
IOhannes