[PD] [PD-announce] reware howto video

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Dec 3 21:40:43 CET 2008

On Dec 3, 2008, at 5:34 AM, Steffen Juul wrote:

>>> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 6:54 PM, Hans-Christoph Steiner
>>> <hans at eds.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> old devices and run new software on them.  We now have our first
>>> Reware HOWTO video, showing the basics of how to use a Reware image
>>> yourself, then it illustrates some of the Pd patches we've made:
>
> That's one well made demo video. Thanks for that.
>
> Insight on how it was recorded/edited would be cool. I'm guessing you
> recorded the screen(action/"cast") in parallel with the other video
> shot
> by a camera also recording the audio? But how did you get the
> syncing in
> the cuts so tight?

Albert Wilking made the video, he's the pro.  So it was shot on a
"real" camera, with some basic lighting.  He was good about pushing
me to get organized, speak slowly, stage shots, etc.  It also helps
that I have already made some other simple videos like this, and have
given tons of demos recently, so I could do the demos more or less on
auto-pilot.

The sync is good because we ran the screen capture at the same time
as filming.  The screen capture was done with recordmydesktop on
Ubuntu Hardy.  It's in synaptic, it's super easy to use, and works
well.  It's funny, because screencasting is actually far and away
easier on Ubuntu than Mac OS X or Windows, from my experience.  Yay
free software!

He edited the video on Final Cut Pro, but its a pretty simple edit,
so other software would work.  I am learning Open Movie Editor
currently.

----

There is no way to peace, peace is the way.       -A.J. Muste