[PD] Would anybody like a portable version of Pd-extended with pdmtl?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Dec 5 00:42:36 CET 2008

On Dec 2, 2008, at 9:07 PM, patrick wrote:

>> When is pdmtl going to be included in Pd-extended proper?
>
> i would really like to see that happen. pdmtl depends on 2 libs
> that are
> included in pd-extended but not loaded at startup: tof, iemmatrix. it
> would be as simple as loadlib44: tof, loadlib45: iemmatrix and include
> the pdmtl folder.

It is also as simple as [import tof iemmatrix]  or [tof/blah] etc.

For the next release of Pd-extended, the plan is making none of the
libraries loaded by default.  This is important since really all of a
patch's config should be stored in that patch.

Also, since we've been burned a number of times by putting libraries
into Pd-extended too quickly, I am strongly encouraging people to
first release their libraries as a libdir.  This would be trivial to
do with pdmtl:

- mkdir pdmtl
- touch pdmtl/pdmtl-meta.pd
- cp *.pd *-help.pd pdmtl/
- tar cjf pdmtl.tar.bz2 pdmtl

Then on the user's machine:
- cd ~/pd-externals  (or cd ~/Library/Pd, etc)
- mkdir ~/pd-externals  (or mkdir ~/Library/Pd on Mac OS X, etc)
- tar xjf pdmtl.tar.bz2

Then in Pd:
- make new patch
- [import pdmtl]