[PD] still not understanding "local" sssad in abstractions using variables

Joe Newlin jtnewlin at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 20:12:32 CET 2008

Thanks for that demonstration, Frank, and though I think the concept is
pretty straightforward, I still can't get my particular implementation
working right.

I can see in your example how the SSSAD messages are being sent and received
locally. But I'm having trouble making the leap from there to saving and

I have Chris McCormick's global sssad implementation working perfectly in my
parent patch. And I can get robotcowboy's rc-sssad collecting local data
from my subpatch in a message object. But I can't seem to figure out how to
combine the two concepts to that I can save local data to a text file (and
load from a text file).

In the s-abstraction version, simply replacing all SSSAD with $0-SSSAD and
SSSAD_ADMIN with $0-SSSAD_ADMIN doesn't do the trick (not sure whether
SSSAD_SAVE should be $0-SSSAD_SAVE, but I've tried it both ways with no
success). Ultimately I get an un-findable "write failed" error, I assume
from the [textfile].

I've tried chasing the data from the "save as" down the line, and I get lost
at the [s SSSAD-SAVE] because I can't figure out where it's sending to.

I notice that in the sssad objects in abs-number-local you don't add
variables to the SSSAD objects, which also has me a little confused.

I'm approaching PD as an instrumentalist, not a programmer, so I appreciate
your patience.

JN