[PD] still not understanding "local" sssad in abstractions using variables

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Dec 7 20:49:11 CET 2008

Hallo,
Joe Newlin hat gesagt: // Joe Newlin wrote:

> Thanks for that demonstration, Frank, and though I think the concept is
> pretty straightforward, I still can't get my particular implementation
> working right.
>
> I can see in your example how the SSSAD messages are being sent and received
> locally. But I'm having trouble making the leap from there to saving and
>
> I have Chris McCormick's global sssad implementation working perfectly in my
> parent patch. And I can get robotcowboy's rc-sssad collecting local data
> from my subpatch in a message object. But I can't seem to figure out how to
> combine the two concepts to that I can save local data to a text file (and
> load from a text file).

I attached a little variation to my previous patch. The only chang is
in number-abs-local.pd, which now includes an object called
[sssad-loader $0]. Take a close look at its internals to check out
local saving. It accepts "save FILENAME" and "load FILENAME" messages
and will restore rsp. store local settings from rsp. into that file.

You have to pass the parent patch's $0 to this sssad-loader
abstraction as a creation argument, there it is used as $1 in the
names of the SSSAD-receivers.

The three GUI bangs in number-abs-local.pd are used to demonstrate
this. There is a settings.txt which you can load settings from (first
select that file with the yellowish "file" bang once) or write settings
into it.

You should be able to exchange the settings in both instances of
number-abs-local.pd by selecting settings.txt in both of them and
playing with the save/load bangs.

If anything isn't clear (which probably will happen) please ask more!
;)

Ciao
--
 Frank Barknecht            Do You RjDj.me?          _ ______footils.org__