[PD] ehu abstractions to be released

altern altern2 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 10:34:57 CET 2008

hi all

Lately I have done a lot of work on some abstractions, so I thought it
would be good idea to share it with the list to see if there is any
feedback about them.

The main purpose is to allow manipulation of video and audio in real
time with PD making its use as easy as possible.  It is mainly developed
for students to use in ~two day long PD workshops, but i guess it can be
used by anyone. I find myself using some of them all the time, specially
when prototyping or doing fast sketches, but then again I guess some of
them are fairly trivial. Students in these workshops don't usually have
the time (or/and background) to go for a full on introduction to PD.
Hence this patches are just ready-made solutions to be used with very
general knowledge of operating with PD.

So there are abstractions to manipulate video/webcams/pictures with GEM,
some sound utilities, and some general utilities. There are also some
abstractions to control Arduino from PD (just wraps/rewrites pduino
example by Gerda Strobl and Georg Holtzmann into a set of separated
abstractions and adds some small functionalities here and there).

They have been thought to be used in two different scenarios. On
the one hand a "live coding" situation, this is why the abstractions
include GUI controls (exposed via graph on parent) that allow to control
its internal state. On the other hand, they are thought to be used in a
installation situation, where the interface is not used. So each Gui
control corresponds to one inlet. They have been developed to be used
with PD-extended, few objects from externals included in that distro are
used.

It is also possible that some might already exist in other abstraction
collections or externals, i dont know all abstractions/externals in PD
so if anyone sees anything repeated please let me know. It
would be good to hear feedback about it, I know there are similar
projects being developed at the moment. I think it would be nice to end
up with a set of ready made objects that can be used by that type of
users. It is always nice to start with something that works and then
slowly go in depth into the programming.

this is the link to download the latest version
http://ixi-audio.net/content/download/ehu_abstractions.zip

There is a readme.txt in the documentation folder that explains all
abstractions included and how to use, there is also a set of examples in
the examples folder and each abstractions has its help patch included,
so once it is copied into extra folder the help system should work fine.

if anyone has questions please just mail me. thanks for any feedback

enrike