[PD] API for manipulating a patch in real time

Zach Dwiel zdwiel at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 01:16:27 CET 2008

Hello

Pleas forgive me if this is already answered somewhere, but with the
keywords I was using, I couldn't find anything.  What I would like to do is
manipulate a patch running in pd through an API in some other programming
language.  I know that I can send data to an existing patch from other
languages through osc, midi, custom externals, etc.  What I would like to be
able to script is the manipulation of the actual patch.  ie: add an
osciliator and wire it up to this output.  remove the connection between
these two object, etc.  I know that I could output programatically generated
.pd files and then load those in, but this does not allow for real time
editing of those patches.  Is there a standard way of doing this?  Has
anyone tried it?

thanks!

zach dwiel