[PD] ehu abstractions to be released

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Sun Dec 14 12:38:30 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 01:33:41PM -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> On Dec 11, 2008, at 4:19 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
> >altern wrote:
> >>Hans-Christoph Steiner(e)k dio:

> >>this is what i am doing. i think that solves the issue.
> >
> >i think even better would be to use built-in objects.
> >in the case of [gate] and [prepend] this maps to one (or 2) built-
> >ins, so no need for strange prefixes.
>
> Except [list prepend], which I consider a stranger prefix. :)  I
> still prefer [cyclone/prepend] since you don't need to add [list
> trim] to keep things in the same format they came in as (at least for
> the things I seem to do regularly.)

Thereby rendering even the simplest of your patches completely useless
to me, or anyone else who is a Pd-vanilla fan. I can understand using
externals when they are neccessary, such as doing something with weird
hardware, or some algorithm that is slow in pure Pd, but I really can't
understand using an external in a situation like this.

Your choice though, I guess. Myself, I prefer to make my patches as
portable as possible to the widest range of Pd users (pd-extenders
included).

Sorry if I sound grumpy; not getting too much sleep here in Berlin. :)

Chris.