[PD] [templater] = Templates for Pd

Luke Iannini lukexipd at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 12:45:57 CET 2008

Hallo all!

I think this is pretty cool - thanks to IOhannes' IEMguts, here is [templater].

Make and connect up some objects in a patch (for example, the common
[f 0]X[+ 1] idiom) and save it as myobjects-template.pd somewhere in
your pd path.  Now, you can use [templater myobjects] to automatically
construct and connect those objects within the current patch.

There are two modes, relative and absolute, where relative spawns the
objects just below the place where you created the [templater] object,
and absolute just creates the objects exactly as they exist in the
template file.

I included two extremely simple templates to start things off (the
oft-requested "metro with a toggle" and "f + 1 mod counter" idioms),
but you can make the templates as complex as you like.  The only
current restriction is no subpatches, but I plan to remedy this
shortly!

I'd love it if anyone that tries this out posts their templates here -
it could become a very nice way to share and refine pd idioms.

The biggest drawback currently is that without ugly mouse-emulation
hacks, there's no way for me to delete the [templater] object once
it's spawned, so you have to do that by hand.  Of course, it's still a
ton faster than locating your template patch, opening it, selecting
and copying its contents, pasting them, and closing the template.

On that note, IOhannes, feel like making a [canvasdelete] object : )?
(I of course don't know how easy/hard/safe this is)

As mentioned above, [templater] requires IEMguts.  I've included a
build for Mac OS X Intel below.

Best
Luke