[PD] ehu abstractions to be released

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Dec 17 18:28:39 CET 2008

On Dec 17, 2008, at 2:30 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> This reminds me of a similar discussion that happens in Java-land.
>> Lots of people still swear by Java 1.0.  Sure, you can do what you
>> need, but newer versions of Java are widespread and have more
>> shoulders of giants included to stand on.
>
> Then why ignore that Pd now includes a fully working (and IMO even
> smarter) replacement for the old incarnations of [prepend] in iemlib,
> cxc and Cyclone? The latter three versions simply are obsolete
> within a
> current Pd and instead of recommending to use them they should be
> deprecated.

I agree with you here probably almost all of the time, but there are
some objects out there, like cyclone/prepend, which I find cause me
much less groans and gotchas than other versions.  So yes, I agree we
should strive to make things as compatible as possible, but I also
think that we should use good code with it is available.

I have found that when I strived to make everything compatible for
everyone, I ended up with much less useful code.  Now that I strive
to make almost everything compatible for most people, I can generate
a lot more useful code, and those who are left out are usually the
ones who can handle small incompatibilities without much struggle.

.hc