[PD] ehu abstractions to be released

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Thu Dec 18 00:42:33 CET 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 12:28 -0500, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2008, at 2:30 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> > Hallo,
> > Hans-Christoph Steiner hat gesagt: // Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> >
> >> This reminds me of a similar discussion that happens in Java-land.
> >> Lots of people still swear by Java 1.0.  Sure, you can do what you
> >> need, but newer versions of Java are widespread and have more
> >> shoulders of giants included to stand on.
> >
> > Then why ignore that Pd now includes a fully working (and IMO even
> > smarter) replacement for the old incarnations of [prepend] in iemlib,
> > cxc and Cyclone? The latter three versions simply are obsolete
> > within a
> > current Pd and instead of recommending to use them they should be
> > deprecated.
>
> I agree with you here probably almost all of the time, but there are
> some objects out there, like cyclone/prepend, which I find cause me
> much less groans and gotchas than other versions.  So yes, I agree we
> should strive to make things as compatible as possible, but I also
> think that we should use good code with it is available.
>
> I have found that when I strived to make everything compatible for
> everyone, I ended up with much less useful code.  Now that I strive
> to make almost everything compatible for most people, I can generate
> a lot more useful code, and those who are left out are usually the
> ones who can handle small incompatibilities without much struggle.

this is not true, at least for me. i spend a lot of time with finding
out the differences between a pd-vanilla+libs installation and a
pd-extended installation, in order to know, what is cross-distro
compatible and what not. i don't say, that it is not worth the time and
i think that pd-extended is getting better and better. but under any
circumstances i wouldn't recommend to use [cyclone/prepend] before [list
prepend]. since i don't use cyclone, your patch using [cyclone/prepend]
would force me to find out the differences between [cyclone/prepend] and
[list prepend], then i would need to either install cyclone or adapt
your patch. this definitely requires time. i see myself a lot adapting
patches, such as the arduino-help-patch, to work on my system. ok, it's
not quite 'struggling', but at least time consuming.

roman