[PD] Pdpedia spam

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Dec 19 11:51:32 CET 2008

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
> If you switch to forcing users to register in order to edit, then you
> get spam bots creating user accounts, which are harder to delete.  So
> far, it does not take much work to delete the spam using the
> mediawiki admin tools ("delete", "protect", "watch", etc.)  I am
> pretty sure that is how it is done on wikipedia.

not being a very active wikipedia user, i nevertheless seem to remember
that they use captchas (yes indeed) for verification if (and only if- i
think) you are adding URLs to a page.
this makes spamming sites much less attractive.

i know that you are opposed to captchas, but i still think it is a good
compromise between not having to create accounts and a reasonable
protection against spam.

fgmadsr
IOhannes