[PD] pdp/pidip on win32?

John Harrison john.harrison at alum.mit.edu
Sat Dec 20 18:15:10 CET 2008

Are you sure Gem is more stable? From my last project I feel very burned
by Gem. I started coding the visuals 100% in Gem and through much
pulling of my own hair gradually ended up redoing the project in
pdp/pidip.  The end result was stable (the Gem version wasn't ---
multiple objects were crashing each individually tested and I had random
freezes from different machines using Gem), looked a lot better, and
used considerably less CPU resources. This was all in Linux.

And for me Gem also breaks many coding conventions of Pd.

I'm not trying to trash Gem. I have the utmost respect for its
developers. I don't doubt it will be phenomenal with time and I wish to
support its continued development. But I am hesitant to recommend it
while it is in its current, perhaps unfinished, state. Example and test
patches work fine but outside of that realm my experiences have not been
positive. I have plans to document the problems I had and my thoughts
about the coding conventions. It's possible I'm misunderstanding some
things and/or maybe my concerns will help for future development.

In terms of the Windows port idea of pdp/pidip, it's just a way for
people to play around at home. I'm not concerned about optimization
which is why I mentioned cygwin as an option. The final show will be on
Linux machines, no doubt.

I'd hate to move out of the Pd environment for video but that may be my
next step if this doesn't work out. Maybe Processing...

-John

--
John Harrison
http://alumni.media.mit.edu/~harrison