[PD] a flawed Gem (Was: Re: pdp/pidip on win32?)

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Sun Dec 21 01:03:28 CET 2008

John Harrison wrote:
[snip]
> And for me Gem also breaks many coding conventions of Pd.
>
> I'm not trying to trash Gem. I have the utmost respect for its
> developers. I don't doubt it will be phenomenal with time and I wish to
> support its continued development. But I am hesitant to recommend it
> while it is in its current, perhaps unfinished, state. Example and test
> patches work fine but outside of that realm my experiences have not been
> positive. I have plans to document the problems I had and my thoughts
> about the coding conventions. It's possible I'm misunderstanding some
> things and/or maybe my concerns will help for future development.

I agree - I'd also extend the hesitation to Pd itself but that's another
matter entirely.  I started writing a mail on a tangent to this topic
(mainly sparked due to frustrations that verbose and boring C is nicer
to work with than Gem for a project making heavy use of multipass
rendering with shaders) a day or two ago, I'll just paste it here in its
current, perhaps unfinished, state:

Hi all,

Wondering if there are any plans for dataflow on the GPU in Gem?

By this I mean that a patch cord would be a representation of pixel data
transfer paths on the GPU, and objects would process pixel data on the GPU.

I also do not mean using depth first message passing as a mechanism to
shoehorn OpenGL state machine into Pd without concern for dataflow
semantics (sorry if that sounds harsh - but it's the most
counterintuitive aspect of Gem imo).

Mainly I would want Gem to take care of allocating any temporary
textures, binding/unbinding framebuffers + shaders, setting uniforms
from inlets, etc, as it's a pain to do it manually (in any language).

Would it make sense to make a set of "proof-of-concept" abstractions +
shaders that port some subset of the pix_ objects to the GPU?

Maybe this is all a bit too vague and I should do some research into
other "dataflow on the GPU" environments, if there are any...

Claude
--
http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org