[PD] [Fwd: obj importer uvw coordinate problem]

brandt at subnet.at brandt at subnet.at
Tue Dec 23 14:56:27 CET 2008

Subject: obj importer uvw coordinate problem
From:    "sebastian pirch" <sonsofsol at gmx.net>
Date:    Tue, December 23, 2008 2:37 pm
To:      brandt at subnet.at

dear MR IOhannes Zmöllnig !

{normally, at this time of the year someone writes a wishlist to the
christkind,
in my case im afraid, its only you who can help my out ; ) ...}
my name is sebastian pirch and im playing with pd and gem for some time,
and in the first place
i want to thank you for the great software you guys developed.
i come from the 3d (s max) corner and im trying to make some interactive
installations with gem,
so its obvious to use the .obj importer in gem. and right here is my problem:
i couldnt manage to get the texture coordinates imported from max.
It seems to me as if the obj importer just merryly ignores existing UVW
coordinates
and applies a generic planar mapping to the model. I tried everyting in my
possibiliteis to find
a workaround, tried different OBJ exporters, and in the end wrote a max
script which
exports all the U + V coordinates of every texture vertical to a .txt
file, trying to re - apply
the given mapping with gem's [pix_coordinate] object. But without any
useable result.
So my suspicion is that gem's OBJ importer assigns new vertical numbers to
the geometry,
and i have no idea how to fix that problem in that case.
I think, this issue is kind of a missing link in a otherwise great OpenGL
environment gem provides,
and with correct coordinates lots of mind-blowing things would be possible.
in fact, this would give gem nearly all key functionalitys of a game engine.
Also i saw, there are a bunch of tools readmade wich are only waiting for
this feature
to be implemented, for example the [pix_displace] object. So i hope you
find some time
to help me with this issue. Maybee it would be enough to get the right
verticle numbers assigned
while import of the obj file, as then, it should be easy to re - assign
the mapping,
and open up other possibilities like apply skinning for characters as well.
I know, you must have lots of interesting and importend stuff to do, so i
dont expect you
to jump up and send me a working exporter the next day. I ' m hoping you
possibly know
a solution for the problem, and i will certainly do all in my possibilitys to
support you in finding a way to solve this.

merry christmess
lg
sebastian pirch

--
www.3rd-eye.at

Sensationsangebot verlängert: GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 16,37 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K1308T4569a