[PD] Pdpedia spam

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Dec 25 01:20:40 CET 2008

On Dec 24, 2008, at 12:17 PM, Olivier Heinry wrote:

> On dim, 2008-12-21 at 11:29 -0800, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

>>> yes, it would be nice that one the admins protects at least the main
>>> page of the mediawiki as Jérôme Abel did on the French version.
>>> Works
>>> fine and it's just two clicks away.
>>
>> I don't think we have gotten spam on the main page, so it doesn't
>> need to be protected (yet?).  As far as I know, wikipedia uses the
>> 'protect' feature as a temporary measure.
>>
>> .hc
>

> See for yourself: 15 edits between benjah's last one on 18th and mine
> tonight
>
> http://wiki.puredata.info/mediapool/index.php?
> title=Talk:Main_Page&action=history
> ++
> O.

Ah yeah, FYI that link is not the Main Page, but the Talk page for
the Main Page, which is technically a different page.  And I just
realized these are in 'mediapool' section, so I guess we can't say
"THE" main page, since each language has a main page.

There was indeed lots of spam there, in fact that page ws only ever
spam, it never had content.  That's easy to handle, just use the
"delete" tab, it even removes it from the "Recent Changes".  If a
page is only spam, then the "delete" option is perfect.

http://wiki.puredata.info/mediapool/index.php?
title=Special:Recentchanges&limit=500&days=30

I am not opposed to trying other spam measures.  But I do think we
should try the built-in tools first.  I think IOhannes' sounded worth
trying: a captcha only for edits with links in them. Any volunteers
to set them up?

.hc

>> ---
>> ----
>>
>> Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
>> It's about as sensible to say we declare war on night attacks and
>> expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war
>> on terrorism.        - retired U.S. Army general, William Odom

----

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.    -
David Zicarelli