[PD] pd + pulseaudio/alsa plug-in crashes hard

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Dec 27 12:10:33 CET 2008

Hallo,
Damian Stewart hat gesagt: // Damian Stewart wrote:

> i'm running Pd vanilla 0.41-0 on Ubuntu Intrepid, and trying to get it to
> play nice with pulseaudio (setup as an alsa plugin) is proving difficult.
>
> if i choose 'alsa', i have two options for devices, 'HDA Intel (hardware)'
> and 'HDA Intel (plug-in)'. I assume that 'plug-in' ought to connect through
> the pulseaudio plugin;

In ALSA terms, 'HDA Intel (hardware)' corresponds to the ALSA PCM "hw:0"
assuming your Intel card is the first in the system. 'HDA Intel
(plug-in)' in the same fashion corresponds to the ALSA PCM "plug:hw:0" or
short "plughw:0". This device will be busy at the same time that hw:0 is
busy, so you cannot use it either - although Pd should not crash of
course.

To add additional, freely named ALSA PCMs to Pd's device dropdown list
use the "-alsaadd" command line option. For example say you have a
custom PCM defined in your .asoundrc like this:

    pcm.custom {
      type hw
      card 1
    }

    ctl.custom {
      type hw
      card 1
    }

Then you can start Pd like:

$ pd -alsa -alsaadd custom

to make a fifth device show up in Media->Audio Settings called "custom".

Ciao
--
Frank