[PD] 0 latency

Lao Yu noise.now at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 18:00:11 CET 2008

Zero latency is a marketing slogan but it is physically impossible.
the only way to have something close to that would be monitoring
BEFORE the AD converter. even a stand-alone digital tape recorder has
a few ms of latency simply caused by A/D and then D/A conversion.
reducing the sample rate doesn't change the latency. but Frank said
all that already.
you need to find latency in the settings of your interface. in pd you
set the latency in the 'delay' value of the audio settings dialog or
in the settings of jack (I don't know which you use). The default is
50ms which is too high for my taste for life music. The lower your
latency setting the higher the CPU load. Set it to a time value that
you can accept without pulling too much power out of your machine.

Best
Jurgen