[PD] pd + pulseaudio/alsa plug-in crashes hard

Oded Ben-Tal oded at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Sat Dec 27 18:18:47 CET 2008

> To add additional, freely named ALSA PCMs to Pd's device dropdown list
> use the "-alsaadd" command line option. For example say you have a
> custom PCM defined in your .asoundrc like this:

hi,
I have a pcm.quattro device defined in .asoundrc which bind 2 stereo
devices to allow quad sound. And I can even get it to work(*). But:

When I try to add it to pd it is only listed in the input devices:
$ pd -alsa -alsaadd quattro -listdev

input devices:
1. USB Audio Quattro (hardware)
2. USB Audio Quattro (plug-in)
3. HDA Intel (hardware)
4. HDA Intel (plug-in)
5. quattro
output devices:
1. USB Audio Quattro (hardware)
2. USB Audio Quattro (plug-in)
3. HDA Intel (hardware)
4. HDA Intel (plug-in)
5.

When I try to actually use it it fails with:
output snd_pcm_delay failed: Input/output error
astate 0
audio I/O stuck... closing audio

SImilarly when I try with:
-audioin 3 audioout 5

Somehow pd doesn't like it, any ideas why?

thanks
Oded

(*) I am able to use the quattro device to play quad sound with clm/snd.
No problems there. Sound playback is with sndplay and by setting
MUS_ALSA_DEVICE=quattro it works.