[PD] a flawed Gem (Was: Re: pdp/pidip on win32?)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Dec 29 11:39:38 CET 2008

ben baker-smith wrote:
> I have really enjoyed using Gem, especially the particle systems but
> also using it to manipulate live video feeds.  However, I also would
> like to see it streamlined so that the gemlist actually travels from
> top to bottom.

this would break about 100% of existing Gem patches.
Gem has been around for more than 12 years, i would prefer to avoid such
a thing.

 As it is now there are a lot of weird issues where
> objects can be left out of a Gemlist chain but still affect it, or
> where things just work in ways that are counter-intuitive to how PD
> generally works.  Certain effects like [pix_motionblur] for example
> will affect the Gemlist output even if their branch of the Gemlist
> doesn't actually get sent to a texture.  For example, in the case of
> [pix_motionblur] I had to rig my patch to set it to zero whenever I

well, i guess this is something that could do better.
anyhow, in the meantime use [pix_separator] to prevent pix-branches to
have side-effects on each other.
(this could be automated; feel free to create a feature-request; the
reason you have to do it manually is performance)

in order to prevent openGL-states in different branches to influence
each other, use [separator].
this is something that will not be automated, mainly for performance
reasons.

fmgar-
IOhannes