[PD] 0 latency

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Mon Dec 29 11:49:59 CET 2008

On Sat, 2008-12-27 at 19:48 +0100, Damian Stewart wrote:
> Jaime Oliver wrote:
> > 15-20 ms should be perceptually enough (visual-sound or motor-sound),
> > some people put it at 40, but a percussionist would definitely notice
> > it. I suppose one has to learn it and make it part of the instrument,
> > latency in an acoustic piano can be as high as 100ms...
> >
> > But the problem is that the pad probably makes a noise, and the
> > perceptual latency for two sounds to fuse is not more than 5ms...

> i've been playing hands-on live electroacoustic music with 50ms latency for
> about three years now. my ears/hands have just adjusted to the delay - if i
> want something to happen at a particular time, i just start moving 50ms
> earlier...

I also mainly use the Pd default 50ms setting for the 'live electronics'
work I do, but mostly my music involves gradual change over parameters,
or changes in advance so this is OK for me.

I think for more gestural control e.g. DJ-style scratching or note-based
control 50ms is unacceptable. For example it's feasible that the entire
physical gesture (or note) could be complete before sound has even
started to respond.

I set up a 'record scratch' patch for a DJ recently and we had to take
the Pd delay setting down to 12ms before he found it responsive enough
to perform with. It would have been nice to have gone even lower, but
after that the audio started breaking up.

Jamie

--
www.postlude.co.uk
http://www.linkedin.com/in/jamiebullock