[PD] Gem install problem on iBook G4

ben baker-smith bbakersmith at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 08:57:26 CET 2008

I am having trouble installing pd-extended on my G4 iBook.  I am
running Mac OSX version 10.4.11.  I have also tried running it on a
macbook (intel) running 10.5 which I borrowed from a friend.  I used
the respective versions of the pd-extended download for each.  I need
to be able to run Gem which is why this is a problem.  The basic
version of PD seems to work fine, just not the extended libraries.  I
also tried downloading Gem separately and connecting it via the path
menu, to no avail.  This is weird for me as I've gotten pd-extended to
work just fine on a G4 desktop and a macbook almost identical to the
one I recently borrowed.   Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Here is the printout from the last time I started up PD:

libdir loader $Revision: 1.8 $
	written by Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at at.or.at>
	compiled on Jul 29 2008 at 04:03:05
	compiled against Pd version 0.40.3.extended
/Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/Resources/extra/Gem/Gem.pd_darwin:
dlopen(/Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/Resources/extra/Gem/Gem.pd_darwin,
10): Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib
  Referenced from:
/Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/Resources/extra/Gem/Gem.pd_darwin
  Reason: image not found
Gem: can't load library
libdir_loader: added 'cyclone' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'zexy' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'creb' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'cxc' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'iemlib' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'list-abs' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'mapping' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'markex' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'maxlib' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'memento' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'mjlib' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'motex' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'oscx' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'pddp' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'pdogg' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'pixeltango' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'rradical' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'sigpack' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'smlib' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'toxy' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'unauthorized' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'pan' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'freeverb' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'hcs' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'jmmmp' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'ext13' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'ggee' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'flib' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'ekext' to the global objectclass path
libdir_loader: added 'flatspace' to the global objectclass path
/Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/Resources/extra/pdp.pd_darwin:
dlopen(/Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/Resources/extra/pdp.pd_darwin,
10): Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.6.dylib
  Referenced from:
/Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/Resources/extra/pdp.pd_darwin
  Reason: image not found
pdp: can't load library
/Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/Resources/extra/pidip.pd_darwin:
dlopen(/Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/Resources/extra/pidip.pd_darwin,
10): Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.6.dylib
  Referenced from:
/Applications/Pd-extended.app/Contents/Resources/extra/pidip.pd_darwin
  Reason: image not found
pidip: can't load library