[PD] left mouse click abuse

Andy Farnell padawan12 at obiwannabe.co.uk
Sun Jan 4 16:25:08 CET 2009

Chun made an inspiring presentation at FAVE2006. A feature that
stays with me was a 'object mode' where an object could be "active
for patching", son whenever it passed over the path of a cord the
object was inserted (the cord was patched to the object inlet and
outlet)

I cant remember if it was in response to a question, or someone suggested
as a solution, but in order to choose which inlet the
cord connected to you just moved the object left or right more.
I can't recall how the outlet assignment was handled.

Anyway, it seemed jolly good. Certainly a feature of Desire Data I have
long wished could be brought to vanilla Pure Data.

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 22:55:58 +0900
Chris McCormick <chris at mccormick.cx> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 01:34:48PM +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Hallo,
> > Chris McCormick hat gesagt: // Chris McCormick wrote:
> >
> > > I'm really digging the direction this is going. If I could just chip my
> > > 2c into the fray: I have to agree with Frank that being able to select a
> > > tower of object boxes and then click a key combination to connect them
> > > by patch cords would be useful, as would a keystroke to auto-space
> > > things horizontally or vertically. I also agree with Tim that Blender's
> > > same-key select/deselect toggle feels very natural. I would vote for
> > > ctrl-A both selecting all and deselecting all.
> >
> > So instead of doing auto-placements and connections as default,
> > user-initiated operations should be preferred, i.e. a better "Tidy up"
> > and a "Connect all selected objects" as proposed.
>
> Totally agree, and I also advocate using keystrokes/menu options to
> initiate these operations. It should always be possible to use Pd to
> manually lay things out just like you can now.
>
> Chris.

Use the source