[PD] Ubuntu vs. ubuntustudio?

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Sun Jan 4 16:55:57 CET 2009

On Sat, Jan 03, 2009 at 01:38:58PM +0100, João Pais wrote:
> Another note: what window managers do you advise? I find the simple,
> low-cal approach of fluxbox / enlightenment better as the sugar-puffed
> gnome etc. Any remarks against using any of these? By the way, one of the
> things that puts me off of linux is that it takes so much *'%$ time to get
> going. So, reliability is also a parameter.

Agree about the time thing under Linux. I was a longtime blackbox and
then fluxbox addict, but I've gone soft in my old age and use Xfce now.
It's about as fast (maybe faster) and configurable as fluxbox but gives
you some of the nice features of Gnome and friends, without the bloat.
The bloat is actually optional as you can elect to start gnome and kde
services on startup, but you don't need them at all to function. Also,
you don't have to edit any config files if you don't want to.
Additionally, Linux finally got a file browser that doesn't suck (it's
about as good as Explorer.exe) in Thunar, Xfce's default file browser.

`apt-get install xfce4`

Chris.