[PD] is there a [route] with changeable compare arguments?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Jan 4 19:46:54 CET 2009

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009, Rich E wrote:

> Still, I don't see why [route] should not have a 'set' message like
> many of the other built-in objects, at least for its first argument.

You can't do that, because then [route] wouldn't be routing set-messages
anymore. That's one of the big recurrent problems with Pd: 'set' and other
special options conflict with the anything-method in objects that have a
anything-method.

An anything-method is a behaviour defined for all messages, except all
other defined behaviours. If there's a set-method or anything else, they
create exceptions to the use of the anything-method. It's not just a
matter of compatibility with older versions, it's also about keeping the
rules simple and free of undesirable exceptions and cripplings. Everybody
wants [route set] to work (even though many might not realise it yet).