[PD] left mouse click abuse

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Mon Jan 5 12:01:21 CET 2009

On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 15:50 -0500, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> Another idea I just had, is to have Ctrl+Return do like Return does
> (finish the object), plus creating a dangling wire that will auto-connect
> to whichever object is created next. The Escape key could delete the
> dangling wire.

I *much* prefer this to the idea of having a shortcut per object type
(ctrl-6 ctrl-7 or whatever). I keeps things generic and allows for the
addition of extra object types in the future.

You gain the maximum added functionality for the least additional
learning/shortcuts: Keep It Simple Stupid!

Furthermore, you could also extend Ctrl+Return, making it the shortcut
for connecting already instantiated objects. I.e if we select (with the
mouse):

|1 (   |2 (   |3 (

[f ]

... and hit Ctrl+Return we get the outlets of the message boxes
connected to the left inlet of [f ].

Jamie

--
www.postlude.co.uk