[PD] reusable snippets with key commands WAS: left mouse click abuse

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Jan 5 20:24:23 CET 2009

On Jan 5, 2009, at 4:42 AM, volker böhm wrote:

>>> make an GOP abstraction with a bang and a openpanel.
>>
>> that's really not the same, I want a set of objects created
>> automatically inside the patch, so that I can connect, drag or reuse
>> them in the patcher window.
>> this could be extended in so many ways. for example autoincrementing
>> object arguments when you use a special duplicate command.
>> marius.
>
> don't know if anyone here wants to hear about it, but this is exactly
> what the clippings folder in maxmsp is used for.
> the user can save little (or big) code snippets there as regular
> patch files. then you can access the patches through a context menu
> and paste the code snippets into any new patches you are working on.
> ok, no key-shortcuts yet, but those could be added easily i suppose.
> very handy feature in my opinion.
> volker.

This is something that I really want to work on, and is one of the
reasons why we need to rewrite u_main.tk.  u_main.tk is so messy, it
is basically impossible to extend without creating bugs.

- folder with pd patches named after key commands: ctrl-j.pd, shift-
ctrl-7.pd, etc.  The contents of the patch would then be pasted at the
cursor position when you hit the key.

- a folder with pd patches named after file extensions, wav.pd,
txt.pd, ogg.pd, etc.  The contents of the patch would be paster at the
cursor position when you drag-n-drop a file of that type onto the
canvas.

Basically, the sooner we have the new u_main.tk replacement code
finished, the sooner we can start tackling things like this in a
rational fashion.  Here are some parts that are good modules to work on:

- unified preference panel with tabs (like standard pref panes on
GNOME, Mac OS X, and Windows)

- network connection written in Tcl

- flexible key binding code so that people can easily experiment with
all these ideas (this is started)

- restructure Pd window for cleaner UI and code