[PD] reusable snippets with key commands WAS: left mouse click abuse

Luke Iannini lukexipd at gmail.com
Tue Jan 6 02:37:33 CET 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org> wrote:

>>> that's really not the same, I want a set of objects created
>>> automatically inside the patch, so that I can connect, drag or reuse
>>> them in the patcher window.
>>> this could be extended in so many ways. for example autoincrementing
>>> object arguments when you use a special duplicate command.
>>> marius.
>>
>> don't know if anyone here wants to hear about it, but this is exactly
>> what the clippings folder in maxmsp is used for.
>> the user can save little (or big) code snippets there as regular
>> patch files. then you can access the patches through a context menu
>> and paste the code snippets into any new patches you are working on.
>> ok, no key-shortcuts yet, but those could be added easily i suppose.
>> very handy feature in my opinion.
>> volker.

Yo, just for the sake of discussion, the [templater] object I released
last month is one implementation of this "snippets" idea.
See here:
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2008-12/066854.html

(also, some of the stuff being requested like canvas object counts
etc. can be found in IOhannes's iemguts).
Best
Luke