[PD] issues installing pd-ext on ubuntu intrepid 868

João Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 6 11:05:39 CET 2009

Hi,

I had several topics about compiling pd-ext (latest night build) on my 686
desktop:

- is it possible to add a line to INSTALL.TXT saying that ubuntu users must
install tcl/tk-dev, and *not just* tcl/tk? That saves time and pacience from
checking the list. (same applies also to pd van)

- it would be also good that this file indicates which tcl/tk version is
suitable to use with pd. I assumed the most actual version would be good, so
I installed tcl/tk 8.5. Although it did build etc, when I try to run pd it
complains that

/usr/local/lib/pd/bin/pd-gui: error while loading shared libraries:
libtk8.4.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

which I guess it means that tcl/tk 8.4 is necessary

- that said, I uninstalled tcl/tk-dev 8.5 and installed tcl/tk-dev 8.4. But
the same message still appears, so now I don't understand what's the
problem. libtk8.4.so.0 is at /usr/lib, so why can't pd find it?

(looking for libtk8.4.so.0 in the pd-list didn't bring much)

- and after correcting this problem, is it possible to mention it in the
INSTALL.TXT file? The bottom line is, I think I still remember these issues
(or similar ones, now I'm not sure) some years ago when I was trying to work
with linux. And all that time later, they're still there. If they're
"features" and are here to stay, it would be good to warn users upfront
about it.

Another thing: any suggestions on how to setup the computer to have pd-ext
and pd-van compiled at the same time? In windows is really easy, I just say
which folder I want it to be, and all the files stay there, aren't
distributed around the computer. How is it possible to make that the common
files between both versions aren't overwritten? (or are common files also
similar to one other?)

Thanks,

Joao

--