[PD] Pd, Arduino, and Multiple LED's == Installation?

Kyle Klipowicz kyleklip at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 06:01:10 CET 2009

Hello Listers~

I'm working on an art gallery installation and I want to use Pd to control
some high-powered LED's via an Arduino unit.

The breakdown is this: I need to create a series of RGB LED's that will
provide accent illumination to the gallery space, and shifts from red to
blue over a course of 6 weeks. The program isn't very difficult to write.
I've already decided to link it to the system date/time so that the
installation can be powered down easily at night. What's tricky is knowing
what hardware to use and how to get it together. I am going to want between
25-100 lights at minimum, possibly more.

I've looked at a few sites and links already, especially the Arduino site.
They have some things related to DMX lights, and this is something I've seen
a bit on the list as well. I don't know if this is a good solution or if it
is overkill for what I want to do.

One piece of hardware that seems promising is the ShiftBrite (
http://www.macetech.com/blog/node/54). Does anyone know about this?

I know this might  be considered off-topic, but I'd really appreciate it if
any seasoned veterans could throw me some tips. I'll be exploring other
areas, but I know there are some honed brains skimming these emails so maybe
they can drop some science on me.

Thanks in advance,

~Kyle

--