[PD] change the length of looped soundfile without audio-clicks

Marko Timlin susi at timlin.de
Fri Jan 16 16:28:21 CET 2009

Hallo Frank, Hi pd-list,
hhhmmm...sorry I guess my explanation was not very precise.
I studied the pd-example-patches Frank mentioned but [samphold~] has a big disadvantage: if we change a start or stop point of a loop-playback, then this change will be executed only after each cycle of the [phasor~](thus when it jumps from 1 to again). But if we work with long soundfiles and want to change their length "on the fly"- from long loop length to short loop length for instance - then [samphold~] can*t do what we want.
So my question is:
How is it possible to change in real-time the start and stop position of a soundfile in loop mode without getting audible audio clicks.
Any other ideas, suggestions???

MArko

Hallo,
Marko Timlin hat gesagt: // Marko Timlin wrote:

> Hi Ben, hi pd-list
> I just studied Ben's [susloop~] object and I have one questions.
> How is it possible to change the start and stop position of a soundfile in
loop mode without getting audible audio clicks. How can you do that?

> I'm just developing my own soundfile-player and I have the problem that
whenever I change the start and/or stop position in real-time I get a short
audible audio click whenever [tabread4~] "jumps" to the new position.
> In my patch [phasor~] is multiplied with the amount of samples the soundfile
has and reads like that through the soundfile using [tabread4~].

One popular approach is to use [samphold~] to only set the new limits
whenever the phasor~ jumps anyway. The samplers in 3.audio.examples
and Miller's book contain lots of examples of this approach.

Ciao
--
Frank