[PD] max for live

Jamie Bullock jamie at postlude.co.uk
Mon Jan 19 10:08:01 CET 2009

On 16 Jan 2009, at 16:35, Alex wrote:

> As Live is proprietary software, and they have already embedded Max, I
> don't see how PD could get into it... though PD can be used in
> parallel to Live, sending midi [and I assume audio?.. using Jack or
> soundflower or something?]
>
> PD can also be used as a vst [though I've never done it, being a Linux
> only user, and preferring to work directly in PD]:
> http://crca.ucsd.edu/~jsarlo/pdvst/

The big difference is that the relationship isn't unidirectional like
with a VST plugin. With Max for Live, Max get's a new 'device' giving
Max access to most of Live's functionality from inside Max. This is a
big plus because it means you can use Max to write sequencers for
Live, which then sends data back into Max, which is pretty powerful
stuff. At a push, you might be able to emulate this with LiveAPI (http://tr.im/a0is
) + Pd + Live , but as you say it's not as slick.

> Besides the inline editing [inside Live], I haven't thought of a real
> example that cannot be done with PD along-side of Live.. though, it is
> not as slick..

Yes, and it's not just slickness it's a genuinely usability gain.

Jamie