[PD] request for objections: any2string -> unsigned char

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 19 15:19:04 CET 2009

Bryan Jurish wrote:
> moin all,
>
> well, without wanting to be trite, I have to say that think that "data
> transmission" and "linguistic processing" are pretty much synonymous.

Pretty much but linguistic processing is happening at a higher level
than data transmission, and the 'character' used in language may be
represented by more than one data transmission 'character'.
With ASCII and its 8-bit relatives it's almost the same because the two
kinds of character are the same, but unicode uses more than one data
character per linguistic character.
That's why I think there needs to be a distinction between the two types
of 'string', and maybe two levels of objects to deal with them, like
[unicode2byte].
Martin