[PD] [PD-announce] Gem 0.91-2 bugfix release

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jan 21 17:55:06 CET 2009

On Jan 20, 2009, at 4:13 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>> Steffen Juul wrote:

>>> thanks, but my fun stopped at:
>>>
>>> ----8<----
>>> /path/to/Gem.d_fat: dlopen(/path/to/Gem.d_fat, 10): Symbol not
>>> found:  _close$UNIX2003
>>>   Referenced from: /path/to/Gem.d_fat
>>>   Expected in: /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
>>>
>>> Gem: can't load library
>>> ----8<----
>>>
>>> This happens with Pd-0.42-3 and Pd-0.41-4 intel mac os x.4.11
>> yes, i noticed that too, when today i tested the binary on a 10.4
>> machine.
>> it was compiled on an 10.5 machine, i guess this is the problem.
>> i will try to update the binary with a 10.4 compatible version asap.
>> unless, of course, somebody of the os-x gurus can tell me how to
>> avoid this problem alltogether.
>

> a bit of googling showed that this is a common problem when
> compiling for 10.4 on 10.5 [1]
>

> i re-compiled following the suggestions on [2]. could you try the
> binary  at http://iem.at/~zmoelnig/GEM/Gem0.91.2_104.tgz
> (it seems to work here)
>

> [1] e.g. http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1589263&tstart=75
>
> [2] http://lua-users.org/lists/lua-l/2008-08/msg00553.html

Yeah, you need to compile on 10.4 to make it 10.4 compatible.  It
should also be possible to use -isysroot to compile for 10.4 on 10.5
if you want to try that.

About .d_fat, I think it is probably best to avoid that.  .pd_darwin
works well with fat/universal binaries and will cause much less
confusion.  I don't think .d_fat been used anywhere except for 4
objectclasses in extra.  I have been using .pd_darwin universal
binaries, and Thomas Grill has as well.

.hc