[PD] d_fat vs. pd_darwin (was Re: Gem 0.91-2 bugfix release)

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Jan 23 19:02:42 CET 2009

On Jan 23, 2009, at 3:26 AM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> On Jan 22, 2009, at 2:39 PM, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>>
>> I wasn't saying anything about GNU/Linux or Windows.  I was
>> talking  Mac OS X.  .pd_darwin is all that is needed.  .d_fat, etc
>> cause more  troubles than the fix.
>
> but i was talking about architectures _and_ platforms (the later
> being freebsd, linux, irix, windows, darwin, ...)
>
> i would like to see a naming convention that is valid on all these
> platforms and where i can have files live side by side on a network
> share. (e.g. .so is bad because i cannot distinguish between linux/
> i386, linux/ppc, linux/x86_64 and eventually osx/fat.
>
> if d_fat is deprecated, i don't have any more problems with it than
> with pd_darwin.
> however, if it _is_ deprecated, then l_i386 and l_ia64 should be
> deprecated as well, and i do see problems with .pd_linux (there is
> no fat binary on linux afaik)

I don't know in-depth details on this issue on GNU/Linux.  If you feel
it is necessary there, I am fine with it.

> and the most confusing thing i can imagine here is having .dll
> (native), .pd_darwin (custom) and .l_ia64 (custom, but different).
>
> i think there are 2 possibilities:
> - use native extensions on all platforms (eg .dylib instead of .d_fat)

Sounds great to me!   :D

> OR
> - use custom and consistent extensions on all platforms (either
> d_fat or pd_msw; the latter not solving my linux problem, the former
> solving them)

> i still don't see _any_ trouble caused by d_fat with respect to
> pd_darwin, apart from pure reactionary movements.

Well, I have experienced them, and tried to outline them here, I wish
I could make them clearer.  It just seems odd to me that non-OSX users
are trying to dictate how to handle OSX issues to someone who has been
coding for NeXTSTEP/Mac OS X since 1995.

.hc

> cheers...
>

> gmydsr
> IOhannes

realize his wishes.  Now that he can realize them, he must either
change them, or perish.    -William Carlos Williams