[PD] Outlet on 'struct' object

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 27 08:04:53 CET 2009

--- On Sat, 1/10/09, Mike McGonagle <mjmogo at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Mike McGonagle <mjmogo at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Outlet on 'struct' object
> To: pd-list at iem.at
> Date: Saturday, January 10, 2009, 6:49 AM
> Yeah, this is really nice. One thing I noticed was that if I
> click and
> hold directly over the drawn line connected to the active
> float inlet,
> you can drag and it sends a 'change' message, it
> also redraws the line
> by following the mouse. Is there anyway to get the mouse
> coordinates
> such that it can be used as input to control the struct
> data? It would
> be really nice if this type of thing could be abstracted to
> allow for
> a variable number of inlets to switch.
>
> Mike

I made a mockup of how this could work using ds dummy-objects, which you can see in vswitch_mockup.pd.  This just shows that when you pull the arrow, another inlet would have to be created inside the abstraction.

I also made a vswitch abs that would work if you could associate dynamic patching with data structures.  The necessary objects are comments in pd-inlet-template: [drawobj] and [drawconnect].  The idea would be that the object chain is created as an element of an instance of a ds, so you could plot an array then use [setsize] to create and destroy the objects as necessary.

But test.pd reveals a bug: any ds object created (or made visible) after the abstraction loads will bleed through onto the parent.

-Jonathan