[PD] generic pointer type WAS: PD-extended 0.40-3 : error when sending "blob" message to inlet

Martin Peach martin.peach at sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 29 01:40:40 CET 2009

Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> Hmm, I don't think it would be so great for to have floats and ints in
> Pd for most uses.   This has probably been discussed before, but is
> there any chance of generalizing the pointer type?  Or perhaps there
> should be just a generic pointer type, that's what I think IOhannes was
> proposing.

Well the int can easily be converted to a float as already happens when
you type one into a number box.
There would be a default int handler for inlets that don't explicitly
have one, which would just make it into a float and keep going.

The blob is a generic pointer type. It's just a pointer and the length
of whatever it points at.

The 'pointer' that's used in graphical arrays is just not usable I
think, in fact it's misnamed.

Martin