[PD] Optimisation - Max & PD

Daniel Bennett pavementsands at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 30 13:48:21 CET 2009

There's been a lot of talk here of late about PD not being terribly well
optimised in lots of ways - GUI drawing, and potentially other areas. I'd
always assumed (naively) that being less impressive to look at, PD was
probably quicker (in equivalent circumstances) than MAX.

As such, (and not having much cash for high powered PCs or software) when I
came to pick between MAX and PD, I picked PD.
Was I wrong in assuming that PD runs more efficiently than MAX (specifically
on XP)? I'm not sure I can afford MAX anyway, so the question is pretty much
academic, but I'm interested to know peoples' thoughts on the matter.
Especially as I've recently come up against PD's issues with Midi inputs on
XP (screws my shutdown every time I try to use midi inputs).
Ta
Dan

--
Geometer Magazine