[PD] multiple undo ctrl-z

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Jan 31 17:04:15 CET 2009

On Sat, 31 Jan 2009, Enrique Erne wrote:

> there has been many good ideas about usability features, so here come my
> most beloved ones: multiple undo be a great improvement. would that be
> difficult?

When I originally harassed Miller so that he implements undo, I thought
he'd go for multiple undo. Instead, he went for single. Basically there's
not much more you have to do to get multiple undo if the single undo was
done "right", but that means "if the single undo has been implemented with
a future multiple undo in mind". The undo-system is one of the rare parts
of pd source-code that I haven't read, because I wanted to reimplement it
from scratch anyway. So I can't really tell you right away whether
Miller's system could be adapted or not.

My own multiple-undo code doesn't really work well, but that's not because
it's multiple, it's because it's implemented in the client instead, and
there were too many things that had to be changed in the server to get
that working, and I have other excuses as well ;)