[PD] escape space character

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Tue Feb 10 01:18:43 CET 2009

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009, Chris McCormick wrote:

> Almost every modern language has at least one of these basic features,
> and that is why I still stubbornly refuse to call Pd a programming
> language. It may be turing complete, but it's not useful for general
> purpose programming. It definately could be though, and the irony is
> that if it supported all of these general programming language features,
> it would be a lot easier to build synthesizers too.

That irony is also the reason why special-purpose programming languages
are less adapted to survive than special-purpose libraries (in
general-purpose programming languages) are.

It's also why pretty much any special-purpose computer died or evolved
into a general-purpose computer, long long ago. Even general-purpose CPUs
in special-purpose devices encourage the conversion of that device into a
general-purpose device. Look at mobile "phones"... or any game console
running Linux.

But there are people who still want to believe in it. It led to a flurry
of so-called "web programming languages", which are basically
undistinguishable from non-web programming languages.

> Note that I criticize it because I love it. :)

But how many people don't understand that?

(If you criticise it, it must be because you Hate Freedom!)