[PD] Pd-extended on AMD 64

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Feb 12 22:27:11 CET 2009

On Feb 12, 2009, at 3:15 PM, Loic Kessous wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I try to setup a computer that I got from someone to work with Pd-
> extended on linux (I want to work with video openCV , pdp , etc... and
> to develop some new openCV stuff with it).
>
> I just installed on it Ubuntu hardy 8.04.2 64 bits versions, and I
> hoped to be able to install the version compiled for Ubuntu hardy
> available on the website puredata.info, but the package installer say:
>
> STATUS:    ERROR: WRONG ARCHITECTURE 'I386'
>
> I checked on the mailing list archive and I see that there was some
> messages in 2006 reporting problems for this processor with tabread
> tabwrite and other.
>
> So I have three questions:
>
> 1) Is there a version already compiled for AMD 64 or should I try to
> compiled it myself (and is it possible?)

Build it yourself, there currently aren't any official 64-bit binaries
because there is no 64-bit machine in the build farm.  If someone
would either donate a 64-bit machine or figure out how to host a 64-
bit build on a 32-bit machine, then we could add official 64-bit builds.

> 2) If I compile it myself, will there be some externals that may not
> work?

Yes, check the archives to see which.  Most do work fine though, its
just a few that don't/

> 3) is it maybe a very bad idea to try to work with this AMD 64
> computer ?

No, its good idea, many people are doing it.

.hc