[PD] Pd-extended on AMD 64

Ilias Anagnostopoulos I.Anagnostopoulos at sheffield.ac.uk
Fri Feb 13 03:41:22 CET 2009

Hello,

This is an interesting one:
> Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 16:27:11 -0500
> From: Hans-Christoph Steiner <hans at eds.org>
> Subject: Re: [PD] Pd-extended on AMD 64
> To: Loic Kessous <loic.kessous at gmail.com>
> Cc: pd-list at iem.at
>

> On Feb 12, 2009, at 3:15 PM, Loic Kessous wrote:
>

>> 1) Is there a version already compiled for AMD 64 or should I try to
>> compiled it myself (and is it possible?)
>>

> Build it yourself, there currently aren't any official 64-bit binaries
> because there is no 64-bit machine in the build farm.  If someone
> would either donate a 64-bit machine or figure out how to host a 64-
> bit build on a 32-bit machine, then we could add official 64-bit builds.

I have not personally created a good enough binary on amd64 yet, and I
have been caught up with too many other things since the new year and
the move of the amd64 machine I was working on.

Has anyone got a 64-bit binary ready that would be good enough as a
64-bit release (John Harisson was hosting one)? Hosting it couldn't be
easier: Reprepro will automatically figure out the architecture (if the
deb is done properly) and will put it in the right place.

You can have access to the repo from a 32-bit machine:

In the /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://something - stands for the standard architecture

deb-src http://something - stands for the source ARCHITECTURE, since
source is considered a different architecture in DEB repositories.

deb-amd64 http://something - amd64 architecture on i386 machines

deb-i386 http://something - i386 on amd64 machines.

This is especially useful with apt-mirror for mirroring repos.

If by "hosting" you mean hosting the nightly build or so, how about
target architecture? Building for amd64 on an i386 by getting all the
necessary amd64 libs?

I thought the only problem was that some things didn't work yet on
amd64, not the actual hosting.

-Ilias